Monday, November 3, 2008

HALF-DAY BOWHUNT: Final Installment

Author’s note: This is the final installment of the series I wrote detailing a half-day in the woods while bowhunting for deer. As I mentioned previously, I have already had a successful season, taking a 2 ½ year-old doe during late October. I’ll be out looking for a eight-point or better buck during the rifle hunting portion of this season (Nov. 15-30), and if I don't fill my remaining tag then, I’ll spend more time bowhunting until the archery season closes at the end of December.

I’ll see you tomorrow with a new blog.

PREDATOR AND PREY

The third deer in the group was hanging back while the others began browsing. It was small, and did not have the somewhat “sleek” look of a healthy deer during the autumn season. As it maneuvered closer I saw that it had recently been attacked by coyotes or wolves. Perhaps a mountain lion or one of the local black bears. Its sides were raked heavily as if by claws, the lower jaw was broken, and its tongue protruded out of its mouth sideways from the right side. Once in a while, deer survive an attack from these predators, and make an escape. The injuries could also have been caused by a vehicle, but we were so far away from the nearest road that I did not think this was the case. Even then, the closest roads are dirt and quite rutted. Twenty miles per hour is about top speed.

I decided to kill this deer if I could. I watched it try to eat with the others, but it could not bite effectively. It stayed out on the fringe of the group, and when it got closer the others would drive it away. Unfortunately (I guess) the injured deer walked away toward the east, and I had no opportunity to get a clear shot. That’s just the way it is when hunting with a bow.

10:05 a.m.: A buck fawn comes in from the northeast.

10:07 a.m.: A 2 ½ year old doe joins the small buck from the same direction. This animal is very sleek and in prime condition. She browses a little on the hill but acts more cautious than any of the other deer I have seen here. Looking in many directions, stopping frequently to swivel her ears all around, and circling to try to scent-check, it is going to take some luck to catch this one in position for a shot. It just does not happen. She moves off to the west and out of range before any chance comes up.

I have seen this deer pay close attention to something southeast of my spot while she was in my sight. Again, I’m hoping the buck I suspect is skulking around is what this doe is reacting to. Normally when deer circle some spot it is because they are trying to get downwind of something they want to scent check. Today has generally been calm so this strategy is not working well for them.

11:10 a.m.: I see some movement northwest of the stand, and assume it is deer. I use a soft doe bleat followed by a higher pitched fawn call to try to pull these animals in closer, but it doesn’t seem to work.

In the end, I stayed until about noon, but saw no more deer close enough to get a good look at. I took advantage of the lull in activity to climb down from my stand and quietly slip out of the woods. I have lots more time to hunt and I really enjoy being out in the woods in the generally warmer weather this October hunt took place in.

I saw more deer than usual today. I’ve spent many other half-day hunts in a tree when all the activity I watched consisted of birds, squirrels, rabbits, ravens, and other natural sights but no deer. When I go out into the woods I just never know what forest drama might play out. That sense of anticipation keeps things interesting

Copyright Ray Hansen, 2008

No comments: