Friday, September 26, 2008

LAST MINUTE STUFF FOR DEER - PART 1

This is part one of two parts detailing some observations I 've made over many years of hunting deer with a bow. These little things can make or break a hunt.

By: Ray Hansen

It’s coming. Starting late September in some states, the first of October in others, you’ll be able to get out in the woods in search of deer. If you are like most hunters, you begin to realize that you never quite got around to doing those small projects that can make such a great difference in the results you enjoy. In this article, I’ll pass along a few ideas that can help you overcome the negative consequences of procrastination. They will definitely provide more chances for a successful bowhunt.

“WHERE DID I PUT THOSE GLOVES”?

Get organized! How many times have you had to search high and low for some piece of essential hunting gear? Maybe you just can’t find that one item that absolutely has to go on the hunt, so you run out to try to find a replacement. There is a better way.

I store my hunting clothes (insulated camouflage coveralls, socks, face masks, gloves, red handkerchiefs, insulated vest, my “lucky” shirt, etc. etc.) in a large plastic storage container having a “snap-top” lid. It is always easy to get to, and I never have to look in ten different places to find what I need. I slide it into the back of my truck and I’m “good to go”.

THE “INSIDE-OUT” TRICK

I would not hunt without some form of scent control. Many outdoorsmen simply buy one or more sets of hunting clothes that have scent control systems in the fabric. I have an alternative that has served me quite well.

Pick a sunny, breezy early fall day, rig a temporary clothesline, and hang your hunting clothes, inside out. Get a trigger-spray bottle in about a one-quart size (the kind that uses your hand to work the sprayer, not the “one-finger” style). Also get a one-gallon refill of scent-control liquid. Sporting goods stores usually have several brand names available. In some cases, you can also get a concentrated liquid that can be mixed with water to make as much or as little as necessary.

You can see where I’m going with this exercise. Spray down all your gear and let it air dry thoroughly. On some pieces – such as coveralls – you should spray the outside as well. Wait until the inside dries however. Remember to use the scent control liquid on everything you will wear during the hunt.

I also bring a smaller (one pint) spray bottle along in the woods to do “touch-ups” as needed. Each time I head for a treestand, I also spray my face, head, neck, bare hands and boots after leaving my truck, but before entering the woods.

End of part one. Watch for part two tomorrow.

Copyright Ray Hansen, 2008

No comments: