Saturday, September 27, 2008

LAST MINUTE STUFF FOR DEER - PART 2

This is part 2 of the blog started yesterday. It's nearly time to start bowhunting here in Michigan - the seaon opens October 1 - and I'll be using some of thee tips. Good hunting!

BREAK UP YOUR “ELEVATED OUTLINE”.

An extremely effective tactic is to conceal yourself behind some brush while in your treestand. This helps break up your outline, and lets you get away with movement you may make while positioning for a shot. This is not necessary in all trees, but where natural cover is thin, it can make a big difference.

Since I have some stands that are left in place well before the season starts, I usually jam some dead branches I’ve picked up vertically through the grated platform of the stand when I first put the stand in place. Later when I hunt them, I may take two or three additional branches picked up on the morning I hunt. These are put in place by “twining” them horizontally through the original branches I installed. Ideally, the branches will offer some cover from shoulder height downward when I am seated in the stand. You will have to experiment with branch placement when the stand is put in place. You should have room for movement, but leave nothing in the way to interfere with drawing your bow.

HITTING WHAT YOU AIM AT

This is one of the most common “last minute” situations bowhunters have to work on… target practice. Not only do you have to be able to hit what you aim at using gear you are accustomed to, you need to adapt to any new equipment you add. In my case for example, I replaced the arrows I had used for many years with new Carbon Express Maxima shafts. Their “Crossweave” shafts make them stronger without adding weight. These are great arrows, and I have had good experiences with them.

When I first took them to the range, they did not hit where the other arrows did. I expected that, and re-adjusted my sights to compensate. Later, I bought a new set of sights and I had to make another round of adjustments. I’ve had to re-sight my bow while illuminating the target with truck headlights, because I made changes in camp at night. One time I somehow lost a string silencer and replaced it in camp. The point-of-impact for my arrows immediately moved four inches to the right! The point is, do not change equipment without re-sighting.

When I get to the camp I hunt from, among the first things I do is to set up a portable target so I can practice every day. Shoot some arrows sitting on an overturned plastic bucket. Launch a few while standing and facing the target as well as from the extreme left or right positions. Even if you are on the ground, tie a safety strap to a tree and lean out one way or another. See how your arrows hit from these common shooting angles.

In closing, I’ll say that everyone faces a few last-minute challenges. Eliminate as many potential problems as you can beforehand. You owe it to the game you pursue, and each step helps insure a successful hunt.

Copyright Ray Hansen, 2008

No comments: